Authors: S. Franzel, H. Jaenicke, and W. Janssen, 1996 Publisher: ISNAR, The Hague, The Netherlands ISBN: 9-29118-025-4.
Order from ISNAR Publication Services, PO Box 93375, 2509 AJ The Hague, The Netherlands; Fax: +31-70-381-9677; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Provides a procedure for selecting species based on maximizing potential benefits.
Author: S. Facciola, 1998 Publisher: Kampong Publications, Vista, California ISBN: 0-96280-872-5.
An encyclopedic reference on over 3,000 edible plants, their cultivars, and sources of plant materials. This title is available at many book retailers.
Editors: J.M. Roshetko and D.O. Evans, 1999
Publisher: Winrock International, Morrilton, Arkansas ISBN: 1-57360-019-9.
Presents detailed reports concerning tree domestication and specific tree species in smallholder agroforestry systems.
Authors: various, 1987-1999
Publisher: FACT Net, Winrock International, Morrilton, Arkansas.
For a concise summary of information about a multipurpose tree or shrub species, order hard copies from FACT Net (see Organizations). Many available in Spanish, French, Indonesian, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Khmer.
Farm, Community, and Tree Network research journals, conference proceedings, field and training manuals
- Agroforestry Species and Technologies. Roshetko, J.M. Ed. (2001). A compilation of the highlights and factsheets published by NFTA and FACT Net 1985-1999.
- Albizia and Paraserianthes Production and Use: A Field Manual. Roshetko, J.M. (1998).
- Calliandra calothyrsus production and use: A Field Manual. Powell, M. H. (1997).
- Dalgergia : Proceedings of an International Workshop. Westley, S. B. and J. M. Roshetko, Eds. (1994).
- Erythrina in the New and Old Worlds. Westley, S. B. and M. H. Powell, Eds. (1993).
- Erythrina Production and Use : A Field Manual. Powell, M. H. and S. B. Westley (1993).
- Financial and Economic Analyses of Agroforestry Systems. Sullivan, G. M., S. M. Huke, et al. (1991). Proceedings of a workshop.
- International Workshop on Albizia and Paraserianthes Species. Zabala, N. Q. (1994).
- International Workshop on the Genus Calliandra. Evans, D. O. (1996).
- Marketing of Multipurpose Tree Products in Asia. Raintree, J. B. and H. A. Fransisco (1993). Proceedings of an international workshop.
- Nitrogen Fixing Trees for Acid Soils. Evans, D. O. and L. T. Szott (1995). Proceedings of a workshop.
- Nitrogen Fixing Trees for acid soils: a Field Manual. Powell, M. H. (1996).
- Nitrogen Fixing Trees for Fodder Production. Daniel, J. N. and J. M. Roshetko (1995). Proceedings of an international workshop.
- Nitrogen Fixing Trees for Fodder Production: A Field Manual. Roshetko, J.M. and R. C. Gutteridge (1996).
- Tree Domestication in Southeast Asia: Results of a Regional Study on Institutional Capacity for Tree Domestication in National Programs. Gunasena, H.P.M. and J. M. Roshetko (2000).
Publisher: Winrock International, Morrilton, Arkansas Particularly valuable for the practical agroforester, these are some of the best species resources available at a reasonable cost. For a list of the many publications available contact FACT Net (see Organizations).
Author: A.H. Gentry, 1993 Publisher: Conservation International and The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois ISBN: 0-226-28943-5.
Covers the extraordinarily diverse flora of Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru.
Order from: The University of Chicago Press, 11030 S. Langley Avenue, Chicago, IL 60628, USA; Tel: 800-621-2736; Fax: 800-621-8471.
Author: D.J. Mabberley, 1997
Publisher: Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK ISBN: 0-52141-421-0.
A comprehensive botanical reference combining taxonomic details with information on English names and uses.
Author: F.W. Martin, 1994.
Publisher: Yankee Permaculture, Dahlonega, Georgia
Presents extensive tables of plants and their characteristics for use in agroforestry systems.
Author: K.G. MacDicken, 1994
Publisher: Winrock International, Morrilton, Arkansas ISBN: 0-933595-86-7.
A very useful reference for agroforestry uses of nitrogen fixing trees, including species selection, plant inoculation, growth characteristics, and potential uses.
- Vol 1. Rooting Cuttings of Tropical Trees (in English, Spanish and a number of other languages) with five associated videotapes in English and Spanish. (ISBN 0-85092-394-8)
- Vol 2. Raising seedlings of tropical trees (ISBN 0-85092-656-4)
- Vol 3. Growing Good Tropical Trees for Planting (ISBN 0-85092-535-5)
- Vol 4. Preparing to Plant Tropical Trees(ISBN 0-85092-418-9)
Author: K.A. Longman, 1993-2002
Publisher: Commonwealth Science Council, London, UK.
These books promote the growing and planting of trees and cover all stages from genetic selection and nursery development to successful planting in the field. These titles use nontechnical language and are extensively illustrated with line drawings. Web site: The Commonwealth.